Thursday 24 June 2021

The engine runs (again)!

As mentioned in my last update, the car has pretty much been sat dormant while I've been busy with work and my GTR.

A couple of weeks ago, the stars aligned and I found some time to pull out the GT40. Here's how she was sitting... Yeah there's not much room next to the GTR.


Anyway, so it took me about 30 mins to remember what I was working on and where the cardboard templates fitted. Haha


Ah yes, that right. I need to make the top section of the firewall. CAD time...




And cutting time


After much trimming and refitting, I was pretty happy with it.



One thing that's been bugging me is how to attach the stainless to the fibreglass shell. The shell actually has some adjustment bolts up against the steel frame that adjust the alignment with the rear clamshell. So the fibreglass cabin and the aluminium panel need to be able to move. A trip to Clark Rubber found the solution. Perfect!

In the meantime, I managed to source a new glass panel from Roaring Forties. I had a good chat with Robert Logan who runs the company. What a good bloke. He packaged it up perfectly and send it to me quickly.


A comparison of new and old..


Back to the engine

A couple of weeks ago, my mates Jason and Tai came over with the goal of running the engine again. It hasn't run for 3-4 years since we removed the mechanical water pump and installed the EWP. Jason and Tai are pretty bloody good with wiring looms and in no time, they knocked up a test loom with a Deutsch connector so I can quickly plug in the EWP controller and start the engine when needed.

While they did the wiring, I reinstalled the EWP and piping with Dad. Then after much messing around (and a new battery), she started again! So good to have it running again. There were a few coolant leaks to fix and we ran it up to 95 degrees. We need to source thermo fans at some point soon.

Phone cameras never do engine sounds justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z3cu5ptI3o

So what's next?

Now that we are finally working on it again, I hope to keep momentum going. First up will be finishing that rear firewall and then I'll probably continue making more panels around the insides and the pedals (that will be a fun one).








No comments:

Post a Comment