Thursday 3 November 2011

Stumpy GT40

So the GT40 is now a lot stumpier than when we bought it....


Yep, we finally found some time to get stuck into it. My Father in law, John was down for the weekend, so John, Dad and I spent a few hours in the garage on Saturday (no better way to spend your weekend). This time we attacked the front end. We've now removed the front suspension. We removed it as a whole. It wasn't overly difficult, just a bit fidddly to get all the bolts out. First we had to remove the panelling in the footwell to access bolts, then we had to cut off the 25mm RHS holding on the front clip and then cut one of the bolts at the front of the crossmember. After that, we were able to lift the crossmember and suspension as a whole. When it goes back together, we'll redesign it so no cutting is required next time.

Done and done
Much to our surprise we found an old mouse nest under the front crossmember. On the munched up bits of newspaper I saw an ad for a real estate place in Hervey Bay, so they are obviously Queensland mice.


So, as you can see, there is quite a bit of tidying up to do in the front end. The wiring is pretty messy. I can't wait to tidy that up (hey, I'm an Engineer). This thing will look schmick once we're done with it.


So I think the plan from here is to keep on stripping it down. We've come this far, so we'd may as well go all the way. Having the front suspension out as a whole is very handy, we can fully tidy it up and rebuild it on the bench and then bolt it back in when we're ready.

Speaking of the bench..... while John was down he gave me a few welding tips. I think this will help immensely and I now know where I was going wrong and why the bench took so long to weld. We had a crack at the bench on Sunday and it's just about done (FINALLY!).

No comments:

Post a Comment